In 2013, Instagram introduced in-application messaging. There were flaws because the direct messaging did not work without the sharing of a picture but now those flaws have been solved after some updates in the application. It has come a long way.
How to chat on instagram
- To start a direct chat, all you need to do is go to the homepage by clicking on the home icon of your application.
- Now tap on the arrow like icon at the top right of your screen and you will be able to check out the conversations which have been made on the screen which will come up.
- You will also be able to check out the group chats if there have been any of them.
- Click on the plus icon in there if you want to start a new conversation with someone.
- You will be able to send a new message to whoever you wish. You will get the options to send a text message, send an image or send a hear icon to that person. You can select any and go ahead.
- Instagram will generally list all the people whom you can message in there. But you can also search for them using the input field. You will be listed a number of people while you are typing and searching. This particular list will keep on dynamically keep on updating on the basis of your search term updation.
- You will also be able to create group chats. There is a limit of 15 people at once so as to prevent spam. All you need to do is select the desired people/person and add the data to your message.
What if the person who is not following you wants to chat with you?
If that person wants to chat with you, you will first get a prompt to accept the message of that person and once you do, only then, will that person be able to send the message to you. If you do not want that person to send messages to you, all you need to do is press the decline button. You can also block that particular person’s account if you want to. This is a great feature that they have provided in order to save us a ton of annoyance and time.
You will also be able to delete the Instagram message threads if you want. All you need to do is open the messaging list by pressing the home button and tapping the arrow icon on the top right of the screen. You can then click on the thread which you want to delete. Long tap that thread and select the option to delete the thread in order to remove it out.
You will also be able to mute the one who you want so that there are no notifications when they message. All you have to do is long tap the conversation which you want to mute and select the mute option. You will have two options. Mute messages and mute video chats. You can select the one which you want to mute.
You can also share posts in the chat. All you need to do is search for the post worthy of the share and tap on the arrow icon near the comments icon. You will be able to send it to the people you want to. You can also use the search functionality in order to send it to custom people.
Conclusion: This is one of the most comprehensive as well as short guides you can find anywhere. These are all the chat functionalities. Once you explore these options, you will find even more flexibility and more options to expand. We hope this guide helped you out.